Saturday, June 20, 2015

Travel Diaries: Washington DC -- The Supreme Court

Hubby and I went to Washington D.C. a few weeks ago to celebrate his 31st birthday! We had an incredible time, hitting up all of the monuments, memorials, and historical sites one can cram into a four day trip!

I went to D.C. after I graduated eighth grade, so some of the attractions were familiar, but this trip was really special. Besides having a far better historical understanding of what it was I was looking at, I also have the legal background which provides a new layer of intrigue. 

My favorite stop on the trip, by far, was the Supreme Court of the United States




This is where the big decisions are made. This is where law is made. This is the big leagues, y'all! I think every lawyer dreams of arguing a case before the SCOTUS -- I know I do!



Unfortunately the Court was not hearing oral arguments when we were in town, but it was still really neat just to be there. We got to sit in the Court room where the arguments are heard -- but of course -- no photos!




We had a great time visiting the Supreme Court. I would highly recommend it for any visit to D.C. The building itself is beyond impressive, with those massive white columns, but the fact that so much of the law that governs our lives has been decided in that building is even more impressive. Regardless of one's politics, we live in the most amazing country in the world! This is democracy at its finest! 

XOXO
Meg

1 comment: