Friday, November 6, 2015

Winter Lentil Soup

It is soup season and I am so so excited! I truly believe that Winter is my time to experiment with my meals, especially with soups! I usually try and have at least one night a week for soup with bread of course. If you are like me and go grocery shopping once a week, try having your "soup night" dinner on the day before you go grocery shopping. This will be your last chance to use your veggies that could be starting go, and a soup is a perfect place for them!


Here is one of my favorite soups! It is easy and oh so delicious!

Winter Lentil Soup

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 leek (white and light green parts), cut into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup spinach (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup lentils (any color works)
1 tablespoon thyme
salt and black pepper, to taste
Grated Parmesan (optional)

Directions:

Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
Add 6 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Stir in the sweet potatoes, lentils, thyme, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Simmer until the lentils are tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Add in spinach for the last 5 minutes. 
Spoon into bowls and top with the Parmesan, if using.


I hope you enjoy this soup as my family does. Hubby loves it (add its vegetarian)!!! Hailey loves it (we have her cooled sweet potatoes and lentils)!!! I love it for so many reasons. One main one is that it is a vegetarian dinner, secondly, this soup only takes about 45 minutes to make! How awesome is that?! 

-Kir

2 comments:

  1. I need to ry this, I think my family will love this.
    Xo, Christianne
    Http://simplychristianne.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. There really is nothing I love more in winter than a delicious bowl of lentil soup! Thanks for the recipe -- am bookmarking so I can make this on a frosty morning!

    Ashley || Sed Bona

    ReplyDelete