Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Five Things You Need To Know If You Work For Someone Who Owns His/Her Own Business...



As a business owner who recently fired my assistant, here are five things I want my next assistant to know before she starts working for me...


1. Live/eat/breath -- I live, eat, and breath my business. I think about my business more than anything else. I have invited you into my little world. Recognize what that means and recognize that there is a huge responsibility that comes with working for someone who is self employed. Understand that there is no one to give me a second chance if this venture fails -- so I'm not going to give you a second chance either.

2. Show Genuine Interest -- If you aren't genuinely interested in every facet of my business, you can't work for me. I'm eventually going to figure out that you don't have a clue and a half about what my company does. And when I figure that out-- I will fire you. I suggest you figure out what I do and figure out if it interests you. If it doesn't, don't waste my time or yours.

3. Respect my space --  I spend more time at my office then I do at my house. Accordingly, my office is actually nicer than my house. Remember that when you reach for your Cheetos while touching the white keyboard I have given you access to. Don't eat at your desk. Just don't. It is rude. This isn't your dorm room. This is where I conduct deals, meet with clients, and get stuff done. You're an adult. Act like one.

4. Ask questions-- If you don't ask questions I can assume two things. First -- I assume you understand what I've asked you to do and that you know how to do the task I've asked you to do. If neither of these things prove to be true, I can assume the following -- that you are either too arrogant to ask questions or too dumb to know that you needed to ask a question. Neither type of person is the type of person I want on my team.

5. Have a personality -- You are not a corporate drone. You don't get to hide behind red tape and policy and regulations. You had better have a personality. If you don't have one, get one. Fast.

XOXO
Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment