Saturday, April 23, 2016

My favorite Lasagna

Every summer I would take a trip with my grandparents to go see my Uncle and Aunt in San Diego. I loved going with them and getting to spend a week with my cousins. The downside to our trip was the lasagna (gosh I hope they don't read this!). We just had it a lot!!! Like 3 times out of the week.

So when I met my hubby and he told me one of his favorite foods was lasagna, I inwardly rolled my eyes and groaned. After we got married he shared all of his family recipes, which let me tell you is a God send, considering my mom doesn't use recipes. I will literally ask her to send me how she makes something and the email will always start out with "you know I don't use a recipe" and then have no amounts to ingredients (thanks mom...not!!!).

Anyways, I found this recipe on my my hubbys recipe list and have fell in love ever since I first tasted it. One of things I love about it....all the ingredients are pantry staples!!! Seriously! No Ricotta Cheese (which I don't even like)! Alright, let's get down to business...

Ingredients:
                
                1lb  ground beef (I use turkey)
                1 Onion, chopped
                 1 Tablespoon minced garlic

1 15oz. Can Tomato Paste 
               1 300 ml Can Tomato Juice
               1 Can Water
               1tbsp Dried Parsley
               1tbsp Brown Sugar
               1tsp Salt
               1½tsp Oregano
               ¼tsp Thyme
               ¼tsp Baking Soda
               1 Bay Leaf
               1tsp Basil

               1 cup Spinach (fresh or *frozen)
               1 cup heavy cream
               11 partial cooked lasagna noodles
               3 cups shredded cheese (I used, colby and some chedder)


Brown meat with onion and minced garlic.

Add all the above ingredients to meat (except spinach and cream).

Simmer for 30 minutes on lowest heat with the pot/pan covered

Remove bay leaf
Add 1 cup cream
And desired amount of shredded fresh spinach (about 1-2 cups) *if using frozen spinach, add before simmering. 

Cover bottom of 9x13 pan with small amount of sauce

Put on layer of noodles 

Cover with some sauce and shredded cheese

Repeat having 3 layers of noodles and finishing with sauce

Bake at 350, covered for 30 mins

Uncover, add layer of cheese as the top

Bake 15 more mins




We had this for hubbys birthday dinner this past week. He loved it!
Our little toddler also loves this meal! 


Hope you enjoy this delicious meal that is super simple to whip up! 
-Kir

No comments:

Post a Comment