Saturday, August 13, 2016

Olympic Spirit

There is something about the Olympics that makes me incredibly emotional. 

Maybe it is the immense amount of handwork, dedication, and sheer will power that makes these athletes top notch...

or maybe it is the camaraderie, teamwork, and trust that each country and sport exudes...

or perhaps it is the warm, fuzzy feeling one gets from realizing there still is goodness and hope in this crazy world we live in...

It is likely the combination of all three, but man... the water works... I tear up every time I catch a glimpse of the talent at the Rio Games. 


I remember the 1996 games when Kerri Strug landed that one legged vault

Kir, my cousin Heather, and I were obsessed with pretending we were gymnasts that summer. My grandfather even built us a low balance beam out of some two by fours. We were the athletes from every country, the judges, the spectators, and the commentators. I'd give anything to have a video of us! We wore our bathing suits as leotards. 

Here are some fun tidbits I've been reading about all the amazing Olympians. 

1. Find out why Canadian swimmer Santo Condorelli flips off his dad before every race...

2. Michael Phelps new Under Armour ad is incredible...

3. Simone! The greatest gymnast. EVER.

4. Childhood photos of some of our favorite USA Olympic athletes...

5. Simone Manuel -- the first African American woman to win an individual event in swimming...

6. Any USA Olympic athletes from your home town? Check out this link to find out! So many Californians! Woot!

7. In case you ever wondered about the process of making the USA gymnastics leotards...

Do you have Olympic spirit?!? 

What event is your favorite? Mine is for gymnastics and swimming for sure!

XOXO
Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment