Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Make Every Effort

"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace."
Ephesians 4:2-3 (NIV)

Since getting married, I've had my overwhelming moments of, "wow this guy is driving me nuts right now and I just wish I had like five minutes to myself". I married the most amazing man who never gets angry or really mad at me at all. Yes I screw up, (you should have eaten our dinner the other night....epic fail) and yet he has taught me so much just from the short time being married and our prior years together. One thing that I have truly taken to heart from this man is his physical example of this verse. 
Now lets break it down to what it means to me:
"Be completely humble and gentle;"
When I originally thought of the word "humble" I just thought of not being proud or cocky. From a marriage standpoint, I see it as uplifting your spouse,  putting their needs before your own, letting them tell their side or their good news. 
"be patient, bearing with one another in love."
Patience is not in my blood. It is something I struggle with and is something I am constantly working towards, however, my husband is one of the most patient human beings I have ever met. Marriage and life and friendships change and they take time. It's okay to step back and enjoy the moment. If your spouse may like more time to reflect (like my husband) or if you need to move on to the next life event (like me), whatever you say, whatever you do, and however you act or speak, do it with love. You must show love to your spouse, I truly believe that just saying isn't enough. Show me some actions. 
"Make every effort to keep unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace."
Marriage needs to have unity, yes. You and your spouse need to figure out what page you are on and where you plan on going. However, the word that stands out and really reflects this whole verse to me, is "effort". Marriage is a constant effort, a constant job you are trying to work at and be the best you can be for your spouse. Now, while making that effort that is where the Spirit comes in and guides you and strengthens you. 

My challenge for this week (I would love if anyone wanted to join me): Work on patience and ask my spouse to hold me accountable.
-Kir

No comments:

Post a Comment