Sunday, February 9, 2014

Stuffed Bell Peppers

Stuffed Bell Peppers was always one of my favorite meals that mom would make when I was younger. I had always thought it was a difficult dish to make, however, making it myself, I now realize that it is super simple to create! I make my mine vegetarian style, however you can easily add ground beef or turkey if you would like. This is a gorgeous dish with lots of color and is a great healthy dish that we have at least once a month! I almost always make enough "inside goodness" to freeze for a future quick meal, or if Mark just wants a snack on the weekends without the bell pepper. 

Stuffed Bell Peppers

2 Tb. olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
1 zucchini, diced
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup rice, cooked (I use brown)
3 Tb chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 cup cheese, grated (I like either mozzarella or colby jack...whatever you have should work)
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. chili powder (or more if you like some heat)
salt and pepper, to taste
4 peppers, stemmed and seeded (depends on size of peppers, might need more)
4 slices of cheese (to cover the peppers at the end of cooking)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking dish with parchment paper.

In a frying pan, heat oil and cook onions and zucchini until softened.

In a large bowl, combine rice, beans, corn, tomatoes, and the cooked veggies. Mix well. 

In a small bowl, combine spices and combine with rice mixture. Add in cilantro and grated cheese. Set aside.

Boil water in a large pot and cook your bell peppers until they begin to get soft. Take out and cool.

To assemble peppers: Place pepper in the baking dish and fill with rice mixture. Fill all peppers with mixture and bake about 25 minutes. Place sliced cheese on top for the last two minutes of cooking. 

Serve immediately. 


My combined rice mixture

Boiling the peppers

Stuffed Bell Peppers!!!


This is a simple meal that can be made with basically whatever you have. One of the many reason why I love it! 

Hubby's Rating: 4 MMMM's! The sweetness of the yellow peppers is fantastic.This is a delicious way to get lots of veggies.  Definitely good stuff.

Enjoy your veggies this week!
-Kir



No comments:

Post a Comment