Thursday, October 24, 2013

Homemade Applesauce

Nothing screams Fall like some apples! My husband and I both love a good homemade applesauce. It is good both warm or cold and a simple way to keep down calories in cookies by substituting applesauce for butter (using the exact amount called for). Not only is this homemade applesauce delicious but super simple and I had everything already to make it!

Since I had to stay in my home all day on lock down because my husband never lets me leave the house...just kidding; we actually are getting new windows put in...yeah!!!!! So, I'm sitting watching my normal food network morning shows while drinking some tea and wrapped in a blanket. I love this weather!!! So I figured why not and make some applesauce that we can have cold tonight with dinner. We prefer our applesauce a bit chunky, but this applesauce can also be pureed (until reached your preferred consistency) either in a food processor or blender.

Now if you're like me, then you don't have a apple peeler or one of those fancy cutter things, but that's okay because I love being in my kitchen! This is basically the only "prep work" that needs to be done and it's not all that bad: peel, core and dice 3 apples.



You will need:

3 apples (any type will do), peeled cored and diced
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup water (less if you like a thicker applesauce)
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon


Combine all ingredients in a large pot and cook over medium-low heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Mash with a potato masher (if desired).

Dice your apples
Combine all ingredients.
Cook on medium-low for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Mash and store! 


There you have it!  That is it! You can either serve this warm, or serve cold. This applesauce is delicious and can be served by itself, over ice cream, or like I said before, can be pureed and even used as a substitute.

Hubby's Rating: 5 Mmm's. He preferred it cold and absolutely loved it!


Enjoy!
-Kir

No comments:

Post a Comment