Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Easy Chicken Piccata

For one of my New Years Resolution I decided that I would work on being more creative and challenge my cooking. During my days at home, while cleaning the house or doing laundry, I usually have Food Network on. One of my favorite shows is the Barefoot Contessa. I love how fancy her food is and yet very simplistic. On one particular show I was watching this past week she made Chicken Piccata that looked easy to make and I had all the ingredients already on hand (yeah me!).

It turned out perfect and had a sauce which my husband loved!!! What a simple meal that will leave your family guessing why you aren't a five star chef...okay maybe not, but my hubby was proud of me :)

Ingredients

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (split in half) and pounded thin

salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 Flour (possibly more depending on size of chicken)
1 egg
1/2 Tablespoon water
3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs (possibly more)
Olive Oil
3 Tablespoons butter, divided
Juice from one lemon, lemon halves reserved
1/2 cup chicken broth
Sliced lemon, for serving


Preheat oven to 400. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper.
Sprinkle pounded chicken with salt and pepper.

On one plate, mix flour, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. In a bowl, beat egg and mix in 1/2 Tablespoon water. On another plate spread out your bread crumbs. 


Dip chicken into flour mixture and then in the egg mixture and next into the breadcrumbs. Repeating with all chicken breasts. 


Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan. Once heated, cook chicken (about 2 minutes on each side).

After chicken is cooked, place on baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while you prepare the sauce. 

To prepare the sauce, wipe out with a dry paper towel. Heat 1 Tablespoon of butter over medium heat, adding in lemon juice, reserved lemon halves, broth, and 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Boil over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes. Turn off heat and add remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter until combined. Discard lemon halves. Serve a small amount over each chicken breast on the dinner plate. 





*I added a bit of cornstarch to my sauce, because my husband likes sauces not so runny. Up to you!!


I served the chicken with some roasted zuchini and carrots and some homemade Rice-a-Roni (post to come).

You can find this original recipe at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/chicken-piccata-recipe/index.html.

Enjoy!
Kir


No comments:

Post a Comment