Monday, February 17, 2014

Happy [belated] Valentine's Day

I hope y'all had a wonderful Valentine's Day! 

Hubby and I have a fun Valentine's Day tradition -- we always make a batch of red velvet cupcakes together.

The Valentine's Day we were engaged we decided to create a tradition that we could always partake in, regardless of our bank account. And, if we do decide to have children in the far (far far far)  distant future, it is something we could all do together as a family.

I always use boxed cake mix for cupcakes or cake -- I can't really tell the difference (don't tell my mom) and it is so much easier to just dump a box mix in the bowl. 

But -- I always make homemade frosting! I CAN tell the difference between canned frosting and the real deal!

We used Duncan Hines Most Red Velvet Cake Mix and whipped up our own cream cheese frosting, which was AMAZING!


Frosting Recipe
1/2 cup butter (1 stick) at room temperature
8 ounces of cream cheese, at room temperature. 
2-3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

With an electric mixer, combine the butter and cream cheese. 
Slowly add in the powdered sugar and vanilla to the butter/cream cheese mixture.
Mix on high until frosting is smooth and all ingredients and thoroughly mixed.
Spread on cooled cupcakes. 

As evidenced by the photo, we (okay I) made a huge mess with the powdered sugar. Hubby doesn't like to see what goes in some of his favorite foods, so he did not help with the frosting. Ha ha! 

Do y'all have any fun Valentine's Day traditions? I'd love to hear about them!
Yum!
Megs 

PS: Recipe adopted from http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cream_cheese_frosting/

No comments:

Post a Comment